ATTENTION GETTER: Every day, I see the effects of pollution. From the trash that’s thrown into bushes to the murky lakes to the smog-filled skies, these are examples of the negative human impact on the environment.
PURPOSE (state specific purpose, relate topic to audience and establish credibility): The cars we drive every day release toxic exhaust gases into the atmosphere that damage it. We should try to do better to reverse these effects now; otherwise, our world will continue to get filthier and eventually become uninhabitable.
STATE THESIS & MAIN POINTS: I’m going to persuade you that going green is one solution you could do to help improve the environment by first explaining the problem, then by explaining the factors responsible for pollution, and lastly by listing ways that can help solve this problem.
Connective: First, I’ll explain the problem we are facing.
Body (3-5 MAIN POINTS PREFERRED)
I. MAIN POINT (state as a single declarative sentence): Pollution is a huge global problem that affects every living being on Earth.
A. SUBPOINT: Pollution has adversely affected the environment.
1. According to World WildLife Fund, many ecosystems around the world are being destroyed, eliminating many plant and animal species that inhabit them (“Pollution”).
2. And acid rain, which is created when water in the atmosphere mixes with chemicals, ravage through rain forests and can even kill fish.
3. Some of the species being threatened by pollution include: dolphins, porpoises, penguins, sharks, and polar bears.
B. Humans are also being affected.
1. Clean water is needed for good human and animal health, but as DoSomething.org states, over 1 billion people worldwide don’t have a means of getting clean drinking water, and 5000 die each day because of contaminated drinking water (“11 Facts About Pollution”).
2. And, pollution affects over 100 million people, being one of the largest causes of death, among diseases such as malaria and HIV.
Connective: After talking about the issue that is pollution, I’ll now explain what has caused this.
II. MAIN POINT (state as a single declarative sentence): Pollution arose from a significant amount of human waste.
A. According to UNWater, many industries are the cause of heavy water pollution (“Water Pollution and Environmental Degradation”).
1. These factories, which produce products for people, release chemicals into the water as exhaust, contaminating drinking water for humans and the water in which many fish live in.
B. DoSomething.org states that every year, 14 billion pounds of garbage, most of which is plastic, is thrown into the ocean (“11 Facts About Pollution”).
1. This debris can amass into large clutters and can damage ocean ecosystems by ripping corals, trapping marine animals within the clutter of trash, and making them eat the trash.
C. And according to World WildLife, human waste is the root cause of environmental threats, from water to air pollution (“Pollution”).